SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214548 - 06/21/06 09:48 AM Yamaha's definition of "portable"
Rickideemus Offline

So I got my new YPG-625 and I'm really enjoying the sounds and features. The main reason I settled on this keyboard is great built-in speakers in a 40 lbs. package. It would have made no sense for me to buy a digital if it couldn't deliver good sound in a portable package.

Which brings me to Yamaha's "support beam." I don't think I'll ne using the stand much, but since it came with the package, I spent an hour assembling it. Come to find out, the one new item included with a YPG-625 that's NOT included with any other "Yamaha Portable Grand" is a support beam. In addition to adding about 3.5 lbs to the board, the support beam makes it impossible to play on a table or desk. There are screws hanging from the underside that would gouge into a table, plus which it makes the keyboard tilt upward at an awkward playing angle.

The only function I can see for the support beam is to support the greater weight of the YPG-625 to keep it from sagging in the middle after months of use. The support beam is therefore useless if the 625 is lying on a table, and in fact, there are little rubber pads -- apparantly for keeping the 625 in place on a table -- that serve no function when the support beam is attached.

Here's the thing. I can't imagine anyone carting that ungainly, uncollapsible, 15 lbs. stand to a gig, and I can't imagine anyone screwing and screwing the six phillips screws two or three times a week to use the stand at home. They are stretching the "portable" right about to a bust.

I see they have a $25 height adjustable table at WalMart. I think I'm going to buy two of them -- one for my apartment, and one to keep in a car for gigs where they don't have a suitable table. As far as I can tell from the manual, I'm not voiding the warranty by not attaching the support beam. The instructions for attaching the beam are in the section on building the stand. And while the manual warns not use to use any other stand with the keyboard, it doesn't say you can't use a table. And like I say, the rubber pads only serve a function if it's laying on a table.

So I say I still have a warranty if I don't use the support beam!! Any comments?

Rick

#214549 - 06/21/06 11:19 AM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
AAaaaah, Rick!
That explains why some sites listed the 625 as 39 lbs while others listed it as 42 lbs - the later weight incl. the support rail.

Quote:
Here's the thing. I can't imagine anyone carting that ungainly, uncollapsible, 15 lbs. stand to a gig, and I can't imagine anyone screwing and screwing the six phillips screws two or three times a week to use the stand at home

I see your point. This kind of assembly makes the keyboard quite unportable. It is just a design philosophy - remember that the most of the potential buyers will be looking for a home digital piano which will serve as a pleasant looking piece of furniture as well (I've read lots of opinions regarding this).

Just another reason to like my DGX-305 more and more - its as light as a feather and is still a nice looking piece of furniture.

Quote:
And while the manual warns not use to use any other stand with the keyboard,
I understand that if such beast enters my home it won't go out.

I am curious to know what kind of a stand the Motif ES8 and Mo8 use. These keyboards are 88keys and are heavier than the DGX 620

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 06-21-2006).]

#214550 - 06/21/06 03:41 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
With the MO8 you'd better use a heavy duty stand. I think my MO8 weighs in at just over 46 lbs. I use a heavy duty "double braced" keyboad stand. Some of those cheaper and wobbly single braced stands may not be such a good idea to use with a board such as the MO8 or even the Motif ES8.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#214551 - 06/22/06 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
It is just a design philosophy - remember that the most of the potential buyers will be looking for a home digital piano which will serve as a pleasant looking piece of furniture as well

Well, but they're SELLING it as a "PORTABLE grand." It's right in the name!

Do you suppose they have another definition of "portable" in Japan? Maybe they think portable just means "liftable," or something???

Quote:
Just another reason to like my DGX-305 more and more - its as light as a feather and is still a nice looking piece of furniture.

I'm glad you love it, but it wouldn't work for me at all. 76 keys would cut my repertoire at least 70%, and there is no control with synth action.

Rick

#214552 - 06/22/06 07:42 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
George V Offline

Rick,
in 2003 Yamaha marketed DGX-500 as a replacement for a home piano (provided it didn't have hammer keys). As I am sure you know, this was a marketing trick because the semi-weighted keys did not provide the feeling of a piano. There was a long debate over this.

3 years later they came up with a product that may really serve as a home piano -the YPG625. It's possible that in another 3 years they'll come up with a truly portable digital piano with GH.

I am sure the 625 is a killer keyboard. The only thing I don't like about it is that the voice set is 99% the same as that on my keyboard. I hoped for more new voices. Maybe in another 2 years... who knows.

Of course, the main trouble with transporting such big keyboard is its size not weight. I am sure you'll find a way. Maybe you could use a double braced stand Squeak mentioned about.

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 06-22-2006).]

#214553 - 06/23/06 12:03 AM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
It's possible that in another 3 years they'll come up with a truly portable digital piano.

I think the P70 fits the bill. It only has a few sounds, but it sounds very, very good, even though the speakers are half the size of the YPG. Weighs 28.7 lbs.

If Yamaha and Roland could get together and put the P70 speaker system in the FP-2, then you'd have all the MIDI connections, audio IN/OUT 64 poly, 4 band digital equalizer. Headphone jack(stereo), USB, three pedal jacks, arund 33 lbs.

But it might not work. Maybe all the 300 some sounds wouldn't sound great through the tiny speakers. Maybe Yamaha tailored the P70 speakers for just those 10 sounds.

But if you just want a portable piano, I think the P70 qualifies.

Rick

#214554 - 06/23/06 06:41 AM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm not sure if you've looked at it yet, but have you considered the Casio PX310??? Don't be fooled by the Casio name either. This is a really nice digital. Graded hammer action, good piano samples, plus it has over 200 sounds, 8 digital effects, layer/split, registrations, midi in/out-through.

It's worth looking at, and it's under 30 lbs. I've been considering buying one of these to put in my living room. It's a nice looking board and doesn't take up much space.

Also the demos on Casio's site "SUCK" big time. I can't believe Casio would put such terrible demos up for this thing. They're poorly done.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-23-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#214555 - 06/23/06 02:08 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
jeffc308 Offline

how does the piano sample on the P70 compare with the Live sample on the YPG and the PX310?

#214556 - 06/23/06 09:56 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
Rickideemus Offline

Hi squeak,

Yes, I looked at the Privia PX-310. I agree it has excellent action and piano sounds. My only issue is with the small built-in speakers. I played it side by side with a DGX-555, the forerunner of my YPG-625, and it sounds very pale in comparison. Through headphones, the PX-310 sounds much better. (Still not quite as good as the DGX. )

The P70/YPG-625 are the first really portable digitals, with acceptable action and speakers, that an out of shape middle aged man can cart around with no help. The Roland FP-2 comes close, but again, the speakers. I seriously intend to gig in small halls with the 625.

I like all in one solutions.

The demos for the DGX line are pretty bland, too. Frankly, they put far, far more effort into the demos of pricier products.

Jeffc, I think the pianos on the P70, YPG-625 and PX-310 are close enough that I'd need to play them side by side for more than 24 hours to make a decision. They are all very good.

The Privia is "tri-element" sampled, but that's a more subtle distinction than you'd think. It does NOT mean there's no difference in tone between the YPG piano sound at p vs. f.

One real difference: the PX-310 has soft and sustenuto pedal inputs; the P70 and YPGs have only a damper pedal jack.

Rick

#214557 - 06/24/06 08:14 AM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
jeffc308 Offline

Hi rick, thanks for the feedback. At least I know they are all in the same range. I'm going to go to samash or gc and try them out (having been to one for a long time - too busy writing songs, ha) I think I'm leaning towards the YPG525 or 625 because of the speakers and voices although I'd really like a p70 except it only has 10 sounds.

#214558 - 06/24/06 02:00 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
jeffc308 Offline

by the way, about your support beam problem. does this mean it's not possible to just use a regular keyboard stand or put it on the floor?

#214559 - 06/25/06 12:21 AM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
George V Offline

Hi, I previewed the 625 manual once again regarding the support beam.
As far as I can see from the illustrations provided, the support beam supports the weight of the keyboard while it is placed on the wooden stand. Because the board is supported only at its very edges, the tension which concentrates at the middle of the keyboard is possible to break or sag the keyboard after some time. To reduce the tension you need to use the support rail.

However, if you used a double X stand its supports would be close to the middle of the keyboard, therefore there would be less tension at the middle and less (if any) risk of breaking or sagging. The closer the supports to the center, the lesser the risk. The best is when the supports are at 1/4 of the length from each edge.

According to me, you should be able to use a regular heavy duty double X stand.

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 06-25-2006).]

#214560 - 06/25/06 04:30 PM Re: Yamaha's definition of "portable"
Rickideemus Offline

I agree with George that a double X stand, or a table style stand, should be OK for the YPG-625.

jeffc, if you're leaning toward a YPG-525, I think you might want to look at a DGX-500. It's basically a 525 with MIDI IN/OUT, a disk drive, and fewer Live! Cool! etc, sounds. I've seen them go new on eBay, with warranty, for a little over $400 incl. S&H. That's a hell of a good deal!
http://music.yamaha.com/products/main.html?productId=43

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online